Friday, September 18, 2009

That time of year.... again...and still missin my pops!

I can't believe September 18th is here AGAIN! Crazy how time flies. Eleven years ago the worst day in history... well at least for my family it was! As most of my blog readers know it's the day my daddy died. Eleven years sounds like an eternity! But for those of you who have lost someone so close know that in such a situation an eternity and yesterday some how seem to have the same feeling. The memory of the tragedy seems like yesterday but feels like and eternity since I've seen him. So weird. Some of you know I actually really like to write poems from time to time and this time of year really brings it out in me. Last year was the first time I posted one and thought I would do the same for this year. So break out the tissues mama cuz here it is! And can I just say thank you mom for the most perfect childhood ANYONE could ever hope for! Seriously, perfect. I love you mom and all you continue to do for me and my family. I know this day is almost unbearable for you and I wish I could be near you but know my thoughts, prayers, and love are.

Second of all,to my Grandma-ma Johnson... the one who raised my dad to be the perfect man he was by being perfect yourself! It always seems hard to wish you a 'happy' birthday today being that it is also the day your son died but Happy Birthday to the most wonderful, amazing, loving, inspiring, humble, and PERFECT person to ever live! You are truly the best!

I thought I'd be OK today but apparently I'm not.
Because here I sit, still waiting for your return.
It's amazing that life has gone on without you
Eleven years ago it seemed the world stopped turning
And still here we are , without you.
Living our lives, raising our children who've never met you.
And us trying to carry on you legacy.
But where do we begin?
There's so much to teach.
Your loving compassionate ways.
Your ability to inspire everyone and anyone
Your sensitive heart that touched so many.
How DOES life go on without you??
In my children I see your strength
Your tenderness and love.
I pray that I can teach them like you taught me.
That I can be gentle and sensitive to their needs
like you always were with mine.
How did you do it, all you did?
Sometimes I don't understand
It seems you never gave up
That always inspires me!
You knew Gods plan and despite your pain you never questioned the Saviors love.
In my eyes you couldn't be more perfect!
Of course, I know that's impossible
But that's still how I remember you.
So thank you daddy for all you've given me
The unconditional love
The example you always set
For so many things that continued to bless my life.
And, like always, I think of you and miss you everyday of this life
and can think of nothing more joyous as our reunion above!
I love you daddy a hundred more times than a daughter could ever love her father!

7 comments:

John and Penny said...

You never cease to amaze me. What a beautiful tribute to your daddy. Thank you honey I needed that today. You know how I feel about today. It's crazy how we want to all go on but can't completely. LOve you so much.

This Idaho Girl said...

I can't imagine how hard this time of year must be for you guys. It seems like it was just yesterday that your dad was jumping out of trees into the lake. What a guy.

John and Penny said...

Emily that was beautiful.
Love you,
John

Alexis said...

Love you sis! Beautiful poem.

juliewesterberg said...

We all still miss him. We are keeping an eye on your sweet Grandma. We love her!

Johnson said...

Aaron says the same thing about his childhood (the most perfect childhood). Your Dad was an amazing person! I too love your poem, you are so talented! Love ya lots!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I love how your poem says how much you love your dad! - this is actually Holly not Hannah